How to build profiled libraries on RELENG_7?

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 9 20:22:20 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 10:46:21PM +0300, Lenar Tukhvatullin wrote:
> I need profiled versions of system libraries.
>
> I put WITHOUT_PROFILE=NO in /etc/src.conf (/etc/make.conf not present)

A couple things:

The value you pass to WITH/WITHOUT/NO variables in src.conf(5) or
make.conf(5) rarely has purpose.  The make.conf(5) manpage documents
this fact:

   The following lists provide a name and short description for each vari-
   able you can use during the indicated builds.  The values of variables
   flagged as bool are ignored; the variable being set at all (even to
   ``FALSE'' or ``NO'') causes it to be treated as if it were set.

Thus, the following lines are all synonymous in functionality (disabling
profiled libraries):

WITHOUT_PROFILE=yes
WITHOUT_PROFILE=true
WITHOUT_PROFILE=no
WITHOUT_PROFILE=aphuvudet
WITHOUT_PROFILE="the ape is watching"

However...

I don't quite understand the profiling framework for src/.  There are
numerous variables referenced, such as MK_PROFILE, and I also see a
couple references to NO_PROFILE (which should be a RELENG_6 and below
thing?).

I also see this in src/Makefile.inc1, which makes me wonder if profiling
support is broken altogether:

    391 _libraries:
    392         @echo
    394         @echo ">>> stage 4.2: building libraries"
    396         ${_+_}cd ${.CURDIR}; \
    397             ${WMAKE} -DNO_FSCHG -DWITHOUT_HTML -DWITHOUT_INFO -DNO_LINT \
    398             -DWITHOUT_MAN -DWITHOUT_NLS -DWITHOUT_PROFILE libraries

Note the unconditional use of the -DWITHOUT_PROFILE flag.

Anyone familiar with this framework who can comment on what the state of
things is?