Fresh 7.0 Install: Fatal Trap 12 panic when put under load

John Sullivan john at basicnets.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 14:56:35 UTC 2008

> John, a question, how is swap set up on your system?  I was
> swapping to a file (a memory disk device /dev/md0).  I was
> doing this because for some reason lost in ancient history,
> this machine was not set up with a real swap partition.
> Hence, no crash dump.

Swap is a partition on the 1st disk.

> Last night I repartitioned a second disk, set up a real swap
> partition and now I'm currently waiting for this to happen
> again so I can get a crash dump.

I will try creating a swap partition on my second drive to see if that improves things ... I am able to cause a panic "on demand"
but a crash dump is rarely written (presumably because the system believes the device is not accessible?).  I must have crashed it
10-20 times now  with various corruptions of the panic screen - once it had blue text with "trap 12 trap 12" all over the screen, I
liked that one ;-).

I did manage to complete a "make index" while the background FSCK was running, once it had finished, performing the same task caused
a panic locking the machine up again with no crash dump.

John