HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop wont boot off install cd

Kevin k at kevinkevin.com
Thu Jul 24 10:33:20 UTC 2008

> > Try to disable kbdmux before booting. Jump to the loader prompt and
> type:
> >
> > set hint.kbdmux.0.disabled=1
> > boot -v
> >
> Can you try
>
> set hw.ata.atapi_dma=0
>
> from the loader prompt.
>
> It's a long shot but it just might work.
>
> As it's a laptop, you might need to do all the other stuff as well.

I was finally able to get it to boot. Here's what I did :

1. Bringing up the boot choice menu before the loader starts to let the
cdrom settle before selecting to boot off cd
2. Entering "set hint.kbdmux.0.disabled=1" in the boot loader prompt

What happened, unfortunately, was the USB keyboard I had plugged into the
laptop didn't work after the command in #2, obviously. I'm not sure if this
will happen every time I boot, or perhaps will work if I plug in the
keyboard after waiting to boot, but at the very least I can get into
sysinstall now. I will be installing 7-release this weekend and I will post
any relevant updates in this thread.

Thank you all for your help and assistance in this matter, it is greatly
appreciated.

~k