Multi-machine mirroring choices

Andrew Snow andrew at modulus.org
Wed Jul 16 11:50:07 UTC 2008

We have deployed an IMAP server running on Cyrus on FreeBSD 6.2, with a
500GB UFS2 partition mirrored with geom_mirror and geom_gate across a
dedicated 1gbps link.

It has proven to be very stable and reliable after appropriate tweaking.
  The uptime of the mirror is usually 1-3 months, sometimes it seems to
break randomly, possibly because our timeout is too low.  In any case,
it doesn't take too long to rebuild at about 60mb/s.

(I recently tested the same solution with FreeBSD-7 and found it now
goes at a full 100mb/s.)