Multi-machine mirroring choices

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Wed Jul 16 09:54:34 UTC 2008

On 15/07/2008, at 3:54 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> We moved all of our production systems off of using dump/restore
> solely
> because of these aspects.  We didn't move to ZFS though; we went with
> rsync, which is great, except for the fact that it modifies file
> atimes
> (hope you use Maildir and not classic mbox/mail spools...).

We do something similar, except that we use unison rather than rsync.
This tool is a two way rsync, it deals with collisions and replicating
files in both directions at once. Very nice. Look for it in the ports
tree.

This has some advantages for us since we distribute load across
several machines and have a cluster of machines which all replicate to
each other. The data is such that collisions are almost never a concern.

Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001