nscd again (nis client cache)

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Tue Jan 22 22:04:57 PST 2008

I wanted to say Thanks!!! for this example, because before this point
I was under the impression that nscd/cached was of no use for NIS clients,
only LDAP or maybe other directory systems that I don't use.  I tried
"cache compat" as below for passwd and group and it works!  Our NIS
entries at work are big enough that without the cache, top takes 7+ seconds to
open, ssh login takes a few seconds, and samba logins were concerningly
slow.  I did not try samba connections, but the other methods are much
faster now on the second run.  Wanted to post this for the archive too.