aac tool regressions on 7.0-RC1

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 2 09:57:24 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 10:19:15AM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2008, at 3:54 AM, Mike Andrews wrote:
>
> >  Command Error: <The miniport device driver is too old to work with
> >the current AFAAPI.DLL.>
>
> In my experience, this was caused by the firmware rev of the adaptec
> card.  Basically, the combination of FreeBSD, amd64, and Adaptec RAID
> cards is a bad thing for production systems, and IMO should be avoided.

In this case it's caused by driver changes obtained from Adaptec's
vendor driver.  The original poster found that it broke at a specific
time which suggested some specific changes that could be at fault.

Aaccli doesn't support Adaptec's latest cards, isn't maintained by them
any longer, and should be deprecated.  Arcconf is the tool that will be
supported now, although it does show the behaviour mentioned (hanging
after producing the desired output).  Adaptec is aware of the issue but
I don't have any information on a fix.

I'm not aware of any reason to avoid Adaptec RAID cards specifically on
amd64 now; there were a number of problems in the past but they should
be addressed now.

-Ed