aac tool regressions on 7.0-RC1

Mike Andrews mandrews at bit0.com
Wed Jan 2 10:06:26 PST 2008

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Ed Maste wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 10:19:15AM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
>
>> On Jan 2, 2008, at 3:54 AM, Mike Andrews wrote:
>>
>>>  Command Error: <The miniport device driver is too old to work with
>>> the current AFAAPI.DLL.>
>>
>> In my experience, this was caused by the firmware rev of the adaptec
>> card.  Basically, the combination of FreeBSD, amd64, and Adaptec RAID
>> cards is a bad thing for production systems, and IMO should be avoided.

Well, yeah, the error message would seem to point that way, but this is
the newest available firmware (v8208) for this particular card.

> In this case it's caused by driver changes obtained from Adaptec's
> vendor driver.  The original poster found that it broke at a specific
> time which suggested some specific changes that could be at fault.
>
> Aaccli doesn't support Adaptec's latest cards, isn't maintained by them
> any longer, and should be deprecated.  Arcconf is the tool that will be
> supported now, although it does show the behaviour mentioned (hanging
> after producing the desired output).  Adaptec is aware of the issue but
> I don't have any information on a fix.

For now I'll recode my Nagios plugin to use arcconf, and maybe hack in a
kill of the subprocess when it gets all its output.  This is a production
box so I can't try a lot of kernels in rapid succession.  I might be able
to borrow another 2120S from someone else to try on a different box
though...  I'll see if I can do that today or tomorrow so I can play with
different aac driver revs and try to selectively back out parts of the
commits from 3 weeks ago.

Also, if aaccli is depricated, perhaps the sysutils/aaccli port should say
something to that effect when you try to install it?  I wouldn't have
known arcconf even existed if I hadn't stumbled across a mention of it
while Googling. :)