gmirror on 7B4

Chris H. chris# at 1command.com
Wed Jan 2 07:05:28 PST 2008

Quoting "Chris H." <chris#@1command.com>:

> Hello,
> I seem to remember a similar question being asked in the past. But never
---8<---snip---8<---
> I had originally intended to create a raid mirror on the whole lot of HD's
> during the install process. But I wasn't presented, nor could I find that
> option during install. So, due to lack of time, pushed it off till later,
> and simply installed onto the one HD. Now to my question(s)...
>
> Where is the option to create, and install to a gMIRRORED drive-set?
---8<---snip---8<---
> 2) In my cases above, I'm interested in RAID-0 (mirroring for /volume/
> not redundancy).

OK, my mistake...
Seems for my application (RAID0), *gstripe* is what I should
be using.
Q: But RAID0 provides 0 redundancy. How will you cope with data loss?
A: Complete backups occur twice daily and I (we) use IP RAID0 -
eg; 2 different servers have/provide the same data, and the DNS provides
"round-robin". Thereby spreading the requests roughly equal across
both servers.
So, given my new found knowledge. I felt I should probably ask before
potentially clobbering (breaking) the server I'll be attempting this on.
Will the following accomplish my goal?
Current setup:
/dev indicates the following:
da0, da0c, da0cs1, da0s1, da0s1c
da1, da1c, da1cs1, da1s1, da1s1c
da2, da2c, da2cs1, da2s1, da2s1c
...and the following, which FreeBSD is installed on:
da3, da3s1, da3s1a, da3s1b, da3s1c, da3s1d
All drives are of same size/make/model.

Given the above, I intend to issue the following:

# gstripe label -v -s 131072 bigstripe \
/dev/da0 /dev/da1 /dev/da2 /dev/da3

# newfs -U /dev/stripe/bigstripe

# mount /dev/stripe/bigstripe /bigstripe

# echo 'geom_stripe_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf

# echo '/dev/stripe/bigstripe /bigstripe ufs rw 2 2' >> /etc/fstab

Or do/should I issue:

# gconcat label -v extradisks /dev/da0 /dev/da1 /dev/da2

# gstripe label -v bigstripe /dev/da3 /dev/concat/extradisks

# bsdlabel -wB /dev/stripe/bigstripe

# newfs -U /dev/stripe/bigstripe

# mount /dev/stripe/bigstripe /bigstripe

Thank you for all your time and consideration.

Chris

P.S. I know this is a bit noisy. I intend to keep it brief.
Thank you for your understanding. :)

> --
> panic: kernel trap (ignored)

panic: kernel trap (ignored)