gmirror on 7B4

Chris H. chris# at 1command.com
Wed Jan 2 04:17:46 PST 2008

Hello, and thank you for your reply...

Quoting Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>:

> Chris H. wrote:
>> Where is the option to create, and install to a gMIRRORED drive-set?
>> If not, why?
>> If not, it possible to install to one drive, mirror all available drives
>> with
>> the data on the installed drive?
>
> sysinstall does not provide any simple method of setting up a
> gmirror RAID-1 itself, but it is fairly easy to escape from the
> installer and type in a few shell commands to set such a thing up.
>
> There are instructions here:
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/11/10/FreeBSD_Basics.html

Hah! That's funny. I just picked up a copy of "The Complete FreeBSD 4th
edition"
the other day. But haven't had an opportunity to read it yet. Guess I'd
better get to it. :)

> Yes, you can convert a drive with a plain vanilla install of FreeBSD on
> it into part of a gmirror setup easily and without having to worry about
> rebuilding filesystems.

Seems so. But if you've got much data, and don't have a DVD, or tape
magazine on it. You'll need to do the operation (likely) over NFS,
and likely requiring a couple of re-boots.

As I look at this (gmirror at sysinstall time) closer, it occurs to
me that it wouldn't be very difficult to implement response script
that asked questions for a basic gmirror setup that would encompass
all drives available (seen/understood) and offered to create:

swap
/
/boot
/usr
/var

and simply asked how big the slices should be made.

Just a thought.

Thanks again for the response.

Chris

> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> - --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7 Priory Courtyard
>                                                  Flat 3
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey     Ramsgate
>                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW

panic: kernel trap (ignored)