packet loss with re(4)

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Mon Feb 25 17:18:31 UTC 2008

Hi!

Everybody, I *am* subscribed to the list, there is no need to CC me at
all. Doing sio just clutters up my mail sorting. :-)

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:50:09 +0000
Pete French <petefrench at ticketswitch.com> wrote:

> Ah, thats is very interesting - I have an identical motherboard to
> Tor, and am also having if_re problems (kernel panics under heavy
> network load). Are these files suitable to be used on a "production"
> box ? - it's not precisely productin, but it if extremely difficult
> to get physical access to (almost impossible in fact), so I am a
> little wary of compiling a kernel and hitting reboot :-)
>
> I wish I had a duplicate system here to test these things on, but
> unfortuantely I don't :-( Tor, are you using these files on your
> system under 7.0? do they work nicely for you?.

I couldn't see anyone lese in this thread whos name starts with Tor...
so I guess you were adressing me.
I used this patch http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/re.HEAD.patch
and it worled well for me.
Without this patch, my machine would lose connectivity when network
traffic increased (for ecxample transferring a large file). with this
patch - no problems.

After the last update, I saw that there had been a lot of fixes for re
(4) in the source, so I didn't bother with this patch.The machine is
still up, but I haven't tried any heavy network traffic yet.

Note: this machine isn't really "in production" - I just test out stuff
on it now. My plan was to use it as a server for virtual servers, but
so far I have just tested qemu on it, and the results were not
convincing (for some reason qemu is unstable on this machine).

HTH
--
Regards,
Torfinn