Burning DVD with files>4GB from console

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 16:41:30 PST 2008

On 12/4/08, Bartosz Stec <admin at kkip.pl> wrote:
> Philipp Ost pisze:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Bartosz Stec wrote:
>>> [...] Is there *any* way to burn DVDs with files>4GB from FreeBSD
>>> console?
>>
>> I succesfully used growisofs for exactly this task ;-)
>>
>> What I did is (for DL-DVDs):
>> # growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cd0=$file.iso -speed=2
>>
>> I had to limit the speed, else it wouldn't do anything. If I burn
>> "normal" DVDs I don't need the speed limit.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Philipp
> But doesn't that command expecting file.iso being already premastered
> ISO image? OK, that's *some* way, but to be clear - I want to avoid
> preparing ISO images too ;)

Some thoughts that might be useful:

1) I expect the problem is with mkisofs version 2.01 that is used in
FreeBSD (at least in 7.0), but I haven't attempted to confirm this.
Growisofs is supposed to handle large files, and so are recent
versions of mkisofs. The author of mkisofs considers 2.01 to be
obsolete. Perhaps installing a newer mkisofs is the solution (e.g.
sysutils/cdrtools-devel appears to be fairly recent)?

2) Perhaps you could do what I do and write tar files directly to DVD
with no filesystem. I use burncd to write the file to the DVD, but I
don't remember if I've tried to exceed 4 GiB per file. You might need
growisofs in premastered image mode instead of burncd. To read the
file later use something like 'tar -xf /dev/cd0'.  Might have a
problem with this in Windows, but maybe that's not really a problem?

3) You could modify your script to use mkisofs to create the ISO image
as part of the process of splitting your files into (smaller) chunks.
Then use growisofs in premastered image mode, as already suggested. If
you want to do this, look at the -stream-media-size option in mkisofs.

4) The 4 GiB limit on file size is built into the ISO 9660 filesystem
prior to Level 3. Level 3 allows larger files by allowing files to
have multiple extents (each extent must still be < 4 GiB). You may
need to explicitly specify ISO Level 3 to get the correct behavior
(i.e. use the '-iso-level 3' option with growisofs or mkisofs).

-- Bob Johnson
   fbsdlists at gmail.com