sysinstall automatic partition labelling/sizing problem

Peter C. Lai peter at simons-rock.edu
Thu Dec 4 01:24:08 PST 2008

Might be helpful to remember that /root is on /, so if you're in the
habit of leaving stuff in /root for doing sysadmin tasks, it can kill
/ pretty quickly...

On 2008-12-04 10:08:59AM +0100, Ruben de Groot wrote:

> /boot/kernel is ~118 MB on my system (including debugging symbols).
> Default size of the root partition created by sysinstall is 512 MB, in your
> case downsized to 360 to accomodate other partitions on your 8GB disk.
> Should still be enough though.  Do you have any other big files hanging
> around in your root partition?
>
> Ruben
>
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 03:42:04PM +0900, Nathan Butcher typed:
> > Automatic labelling on 7.0 created about 360MB for my root partition on
> > a 8GB disk. After a buildkernel into 7.1-PRERELEASE, the root partition
> > was exhausted during the installkernel.
> >
> > Maybe automatic labelling in sysinstall needs to allocate more than
> > 360MB in the root (/) partition if it's going to stay big enough to
> > accomodate a buildkernel and installkernel from source.

Peter C. Lai                 | Bard College at Simon's Rock
Systems Administrator        | 84 Alford Rd.
Information Technology Svcs. | Gt. Barrington, MA 01230 USA
peter AT simons-rock.edu     | (413) 528-7428