HEADS UP: inpcb/inpcbinfo rwlocking: coming to a 7-STABLE branch near you

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 13 22:22:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 05:25 PM 8/13/2008, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> >
>> > I will try a kernel before the em changes, as thats the only other thing
>> > I can think of off the top of my head.
>
> I commented out em from the kernel and loaded up a previous version via kld,
> but still the same thing, although not nearly as much
> No, its very, very quiet.  All the other machines on the 2 networks are just
> fine.
>
> Any suggestions on what kernel to go back to start from ?

I'm concerned by the presence of multiple ARP entries for a single IP -- I'll
need to reread the ARP code to refresh my memory, but in general I would
expect to see at most one in-progress or complete ARP entry for any particular
IP address at a time.  To me, this suggests a bug -- perhaps a race condition
or just a general logic bug.  If rolling back fixes it, that is definitely
interesting, but we can also debug this in the normal ways and see where it
leads us.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge