Crash with recent kernel on wireless

Vladimir Grebenschikov vova at fbsd.ru
Sat Apr 26 07:11:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 18:00 +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 04:25:14PM +0400, Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Recently I've upgraded 7-STABLE: Mar 11 -> Apr 24
> >
> > Everything was fine until I've tried to configure wireless (ath driver,
> > WPA)
> > It crashes every time after interface becomes UP,
> > (I've seen associated in ifconfig output before crash), but before dhcp
> > finished to get IP.

> You should use the kernel image with the debugging symbols here. If
> you
> build and install a kernel, you get two kernel images on 7.x;
> 1) /boot/kernel/kernel (your regular kernel)
> 2) /boot/kernel/kernel.symbols (with the debug symbols)

Hm, I've thought before, that it will show back-trace even without debug
symbols.
Anyway, gdb still complains about "linker_file" and "not as structure
pointer"
But shows stop point.
Not much info here :(

cat /var/crash/info.44
Dump header from device /dev/ad0s2b
  Architecture: i386
  Architecture Version: 2
  Dump Length: 190091264B (181 MB)
  Blocksize: 512
  Dumptime: Sat Apr 26 10:50:05 2008
  Hostname: vbook.fbsd.ru
  Magic: FreeBSD Kernel Dump
  Version String: FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #3: Sat Apr 26 10:20:31 MSD 2008
    root at vbook.fbsd.ru:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/VBOOK
  Panic String: page fault
  Dump Parity: 4236056142
  Bounds: 44
  Dump Status: good

kgdb /boot/kernel/kernel.symbols /var/crash/vmcore.44
[GDB will not be able to debug user-mode
threads: /usr/lib/libthread_db.so: Undefined symbol "ps_pglobal_lookup"]
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd".
No struct type named linker_file.
No struct type named linker_file.
No struct type named linker_file.
No struct type named linker_file.
Attempt to extract a component of a value that is not a structure
pointer.
#0  doadump () at pcpu.h:195
195     pcpu.h: No such file or directory.
        in pcpu.h
(kgdb) bt
#0  doadump () at pcpu.h:195
#1  0xc0542757 in boot (howto=260) at ../../../kern/kern_shutdown.c:418
#2  0xc0542a53 in panic (fmt=Variable "fmt" is not available.) at ../../../kern/kern_shutdown.c:572
#3  0xc06a8870 in trap_fatal ()
#4  0xc06a8c2a in trap_pfault ()
#5  0xc06a957e in trap ()
#6  0xc068e80b in calltrap ()
#7  0xc58b68d5 in ?? ()
Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)
(kgdb)

Most of crashes even failed to save vmdump due to double faults.

Looks like it is really related to wireless code.
Effect happens only at my home WiFi network and does not happens at work
(WPA-PSK vs PEAP)
and always current process in nmbd (broadcasting ?).

Crash happens with both 4BSD and ULE schedulers.

My system have dual-core Intel x86 CPU (SMP kernel)

--
Vladimir B. Grebenschikov
vova at fbsd.ru