Crash with recent kernel on wireless

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Sat Apr 26 08:30:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 11:11 +0400, Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 18:00 +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 04:25:14PM +0400, Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Recently I've upgraded 7-STABLE: Mar 11 -> Apr 24
> > >
> > > Everything was fine until I've tried to configure wireless (ath driver,
> > > WPA)
> > > It crashes every time after interface becomes UP,
> > > (I've seen associated in ifconfig output before crash), but before dhcp
> > > finished to get IP.
>
> > You should use the kernel image with the debugging symbols here. If
> > you
> > build and install a kernel, you get two kernel images on 7.x;
> > 1) /boot/kernel/kernel (your regular kernel)
> > 2) /boot/kernel/kernel.symbols (with the debug symbols)
>
> Hm, I've thought before, that it will show back-trace even without debug
> symbols.
> Anyway, gdb still complains about "linker_file" and "not as structure
> pointer"
> But shows stop point.
> Not much info here :(
>
> cat /var/crash/info.44
> Dump header from device /dev/ad0s2b
>   Architecture: i386
>   Architecture Version: 2
>   Dump Length: 190091264B (181 MB)
>   Blocksize: 512
>   Dumptime: Sat Apr 26 10:50:05 2008
>   Hostname: vbook.fbsd.ru
>   Magic: FreeBSD Kernel Dump
>   Version String: FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #3: Sat Apr 26 10:20:31 MSD 2008
>     root at vbook.fbsd.ru:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/VBOOK
>   Panic String: page fault
>   Dump Parity: 4236056142
>   Bounds: 44
>   Dump Status: good
>

> kgdb /boot/kernel/kernel.symbols /var/crash/vmcore.44
> [GDB will not be able to debug user-mode
> threads: /usr/lib/libthread_db.so: Undefined symbol "ps_pglobal_lookup"]
> GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> are
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> details.
> This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd".
> No struct type named linker_file.
> No struct type named linker_file.
> No struct type named linker_file.
> No struct type named linker_file.
> Attempt to extract a component of a value that is not a structure
> pointer.
> Attempt to extract a component of a value that is not a structure
> pointer.
> Attempt to extract a component of a value that is not a structure
> pointer.
> Attempt to extract a component of a value that is not a structure
> pointer.
> #0  doadump () at pcpu.h:195
> 195     pcpu.h: No such file or directory.
>         in pcpu.h
> (kgdb) bt
> [...]

FWIW I've had to install 6.3 because my new system crashed on 7- uses a
ral driver for a linksys wmp54g card. I'm not sure about broadcasting,
but it failed after only moments of up time.

I'm also going to have to roll back to 6.3 on another machine of similar
design (minus wifi nic)- crashes every so often. So far I haven't been
able to get a dump because I don't see it happen and I can't find the
logs yet.

Machines use a gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L mb with a celeron ~1.6G cpu and
1gig RAM, seagate 80gb sata hdd. Main diff is case- 1x desktop (250W),
1x tower (400W).