Recent bootloaders not working also on FIC PA-2005 board

Greg Byshenk freebsd at byshenk.net
Wed Apr 9 23:01:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 10:32:48PM +0200, Marcin Cieslak wrote:

> >It would be these changes.  Debugging this will be hard. :(  Are you
> >familiar with x86 assembly at all?

In relation to John Baldwin's question, I (at least) have basically zero
knowledge of x86 assembler.  :-(

But this bit caught my eye:

> How can I try to debug this? I have tried to attach serial console
> with AT keyboard unplugged I still get message that VGA console will
> be used. The serial port is working correctly (verified with Windows and
> later with NetBSD).

> Can I get serial console while booting from CDROM - do I need to remove
> VGA card for this?

When my error occurs (with the Asus TR-DLS), I get the message about
using "internal" console (vga?), even when the machine is set to
use a serial console.  I don't know if this is relevant, but in my
case I can't use serial.

I can also add that -- though I am not much of a progammer -- I will
happily test anything that anyone might suggest.  My machine is not
in production (I built it to do some testing with FreeBSD7 and ZFS),
and I can break it without any real consequences.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk at byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL