FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE always hang

Unga unga888 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 30 08:45:46 PST 2007

--- Kevin Oberman <oberman at es.net> wrote:

> > From: Tom Evans <tevans.uk at googlemail.com>
> > Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:42:35 +0000
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org

> 3.0GHz,

> more
> 6.2-RELEASE
> browsing

> mouse it
> and
> just
> How is

> running
> several
> you
> > > >

> > > Thanks for all the replies.
> > >
> > > It may be a hardware issue. This is a more than
> four
> > > year old computer. Btw, I forgot to mention this
> is
> > > not a server, its running KDE, trying to use as
> > > desktop.
> > >
> > > Any one of the hangs do not develop any core
> dump or
> > > /var/crash/kernel.0 or /var/crash/vmcore.0. Just
> the
> > > cursor disappear and keyboard does not respond.
> Only
> > > switch off and on can bring the machine up.
> > >
> > > Are there any hardware analyzing software that I
> can
> > > run on FreeBSD, so that I could narrow down the
> cause?
> > >
> > > Unga
> > >

> > Can you verify that the machine is actually dead?
> Do you have another
> > machine that you can hook up either to a serial
> console, or ssh into the
> > dead box? Weird X symptoms could lead to an
> unresponsive keyboard, with
> > the machine running just fine underneath X.
>
> Just to re-enforce this, I have a colleague who is
> seeing this on his
> Radeon-based Lenovo T43 (m300). The display blanks
> and cannot be
> resurrected, even CTRL-ALT-BS does not help, but the
> system is alive.
>
> Oddly, I also have a Lenovo T43 based system and it
> has never shown this
> problem. It might be something in your xorg setup
> that is triggering it.
>
> If your system is a Radeon, you might try booting
> with no xorg.conf
> file. I have found that worked well for my system.
> Other possibilities
> include hw.acpi.reset_video=1 (sysctl.conf) and
> acpi_video_load="YES"
> (loader.conf).
>
> I would like to figure out why my system has no
> issues while others
> go off to never-never land.

Mine is also an ATI Radeon card:
ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO] rev 1
Chipset ATI Radeon 9200PRO 5960 (AGP)

I cannot ssh to the machine while its freezes. It says
'no route to host'. That is, the machine is completely
dead.

The other thing is, FreeBSD installer has not
installed an xorg.conf.

I have created an xorg.conf using Xorg -configure and
moved to /etc/X11/. Adjusted the HorizSync and
VertRefresh to match the monitor, driver I used "ati",
added Modes and an DRI section with Mode 0666.

If it crashes again I'll let the list know.

Unga