Radeon/X freezes (was Re: FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE always hang)

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Thu Nov 29 10:37:19 PST 2007

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 08:37:05AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Can you verify that the machine is actually dead? Do you have another
> > machine that you can hook up either to a serial console, or ssh into the
> > dead box? Weird X symptoms could lead to an unresponsive keyboard, with
> > the machine running just fine underneath X.
>
> Just to re-enforce this, I have a colleague who is seeing this on his
> Radeon-based Lenovo T43 (m300). The display blanks and cannot be
> resurrected, even CTRL-ALT-BS does not help, but the system is alive.
>
> Oddly, I also have a Lenovo T43 based system and it has never shown this
> problem. It might be something in your xorg setup that is triggering it.

  FWIW, I have also seen seemingly identical symptoms a couple times on
a Debian server I set up a couple weeks ago at work, also using a
Radeon card (Radeon 9250) and xorg.  The console goes away (freezes
completely), Control-Alt-Backspace doesn't work to restore it, but the
system is still accessible via ssh.  This leads me to suspect the
reported problem may not be a FreeBSD issue per se but an xorg Radeon
driver issue.  Reducing the maximum sync setting may have helped, but I
don't consider it confirmed yet.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net