clock too slow - big time offset with ntpdate

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Wed May 2 13:48:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2 May 2007, Martin Dieringer wrote:
 [chomping, ccs too]
 > >> correct.

 > >> I'm wondering if this might have to do with power_profile's settings of
 > >> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest when moving from AC to battery power?
 > >
 > > I don't have these values, are they ACPI?
 > > I switched off ACPI on both machines, but I use APM.

Ah, silly me, yes assuming ACPI.  powerd doesn't run on my Compaq 1500c
5.5-STABLE on APM, providing no dev.cpu.0.freq or dev.cpu.0.freq_levels
(though its APM BIOS provides working selectable half-speed on battery)

 > Might this have to do with it?
 > Now I got following while playing sound on the Compaq:
 >
 > kernel: calcru: runtime went backwards from 183711700 usec to 183167434 usec for pid 12 (swi4: clock sio)
 >
 > here I have a working clock, but also intermittent sound output

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/book.html#CALCRU-NEGATIVE
 and
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/ searching for
'calcru: runtime went backwards' provides many hits, as does google;
seems it could be a number of things, perhaps choice of timecounter.

Out of my depth, Ian