upgrade 6.2 to xorg 7.2

Jim Pingle lists at pingle.org
Fri Jun 8 18:09:45 UTC 2007

Stephen Clark wrote:
> There is a deadly embrace.
>
> The /usr/src/UPDATING says I am going to miss out if I
> don't have the meta port installed (which I currently don't), but when I
> try to install
> the meta port it tells me I should use portupgrade to upgrade Xorg, but
> the /usr/src/UPDATING
> which talks about using portupgrade says I am going to miss out if I
> don't have the meta
> port installed (which I currently don't), but when I try to install the
> meta port it tells me I
> should use portupgrade to upgrade Xorg, but.... ad infinitum!
>
> Steve

It would appear you are skipping over the relevant portion of UPDATING. The
message you are seeing appears when your environment does not have
XORG_UPGRADE=yes set in its environment.

This is necessary even after you have completed the instructions, and for
future updates. The exact reasoning and such was discussed on the ports list
and can be found in the archives. I believe someone (Kris?) said that this
will be necessary for the time being, but not at some yet-to-be-determined
point in the future.

Jim