win32-codecs question ...

Freddie Cash fcash at ocis.net
Thu Jan 4 21:39:44 UTC 2007

On Thursday 04 January 2007 01:27 pm, David Syphers wrote:
> On Thursday 04 January 2007 00:40, Jose Alonso Cardenas Marquez wrote:
> > why do you not use "make config" in multimedia/win32-codecs and you
> > not select the QUICKTIME option?

> Largely because I'd never heard of 'make config'. Thanks for
> enlightening me. But... configurations like that are supposed to pop up
> under a normal 'make', aren't they?

If a port supports the OPTION framework, then the first time you run make
it will pop up the blue screen where you select the options you want.
These are saved in a text file called /var/db/ports/<portname>/options.

You can view saved options using "make showconfig".  You can delete the
saved options using "make rmconfig".  And you can bring up the options
screen at anytime using "make config".

This is all nicely documented in the ports(7) man page.  :)  And there
were a bunch of head's ups on the -ports mailing list back when this
first hit the ports tree.  I believe there's also a blurb about this in
the handbook.  And a mention of it in /usr/ports/UPDATING
and/or /usr/ports/CHANGES.

> And most ports work on a system
> like 'make
> WITHOUT_QUICKTIME=yes' or similar.

Most ports use the OPTIONS framework, and more are being converted over to
it all the time.  Eventually, hopefully, all ports will use the OPTIONS
framework, although there will always be a few items that can't be
squeezed into OPTIONS that will require a -DWITH_BLAH or
WITH_BLAH=whatever.

--
Freddie Cash
fcash at ocis.net