Apache stopped working after upgrade to 6.2-stable

Chris Byrnes chris at JEAH.net
Wed Feb 7 14:19:56 UTC 2007

Just went from 4.11 to 5.3 to 6.2 yesterday.  Thought everything went
great!  I was pleasantly surprised.

Of course there had to be something. ;)

Apache won't start.  I cannot figure out why.  No one I've asked can seem
to figure out, either.  So I turn to you and cross my fingers that this is
something others have experienced.

It's apache+mod_ssl-1.3.37+2.8.28 (with php4) from ports.

Configtest says it's fine.  apachectl start says it starts.  But it
actually doesn't.  Nothing in /var/log/messages, nothing in
/var/log/httpd-error.log - and nothing in
/usr/local/etc/apache/logs/error_log.

I've deinstalled and reinstalled - same problem.

I did a ktrace on running "httpd" at someone's suggestion, even converted
it to text using kdump.. so I have it.. but am not really experienced with
that, so I really have no idea how to read it.

I think that's about it.  Thank you so much for your help!

Chris