Filesystem corruption and bad perfomance with SRCS16 and PAE ( raid 5 2TB)

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Wed Feb 7 03:05:15 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 10:34, Artem Kuchin wrote:
> > Can you try the AMD64 version on that server?
>
> Um.. i have never tried anything AMD in my life. I thought

Your loss..

> AMD64 is only for AMD CPUs and this is Intel Xeon.
> Are you really suggesting installing FreeBSD for  AMD64
> on this Xeon server? Why? Should it help?

Because Intel copied the 64 bit instruction extensions developed by AMD so the
amd64 port of FreeBSD will run on a suitable Intel CPU, eg..

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (3000.12-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf49  Stepping = 9

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x641d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,CNTX-ID,CX16,XTPR>
  AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>

Running in full 64 bit is considerably less kludgy and tends to expose less
driver bugs than PAE :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum