FreeBSD 7.0 BETA4 no serial console

Marian Hettwer MH at kernel32.de
Mon Dec 17 05:00:21 PST 2007

Hi Ho,

Jeremy Chadwick schrieb:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 12:50:07PM +0100, Marian Hettwer wrote:
>
>> marian46-23# stty -a -f /dev/ttyd0
>> speed 9600 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
>> lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl echoctl
>>        -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin -nokerninfo
>>        -extproc
>> iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff ixany imaxbel -ignbrk
>>        brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
>> oflags: opost onlcr -ocrnl -oxtabs -onocr -onlret
>> cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl clocal -cstopb -crtscts -dsrflow
>>        -dtrflow -mdmbuf
>> cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
>>        eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^?; erase2 = ^H; intr = ^C; kill = ^U;
>>        lnext = ^V; min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q;
>>        status = ^T; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;
>>
>> hm...
>>

> Identical to ours...
>
> Well, the reason you'd get boot messages and kernel output would be that
> neither of those (AFIAK) bothers to check for things like DTR/DSR and
> DCD.  getty, on the other hand, does.  That's what makes me think it
> might be a cabling or adapter issue.  The 3wire.9600 test, I assume,
> should've worked though...

Well, I enabled the 2wirte.9600 test via "kill -HUP 1". And according to
my processlist, getty was running with 3wire.9600. I could try to
reboot, although this should make a difference at all.

>> It's really really strange that I can see the whole boot process but don't
>> have a login prompt in the end. strange.
>>

> Has this box been "upgraded" from RELENG_6 or anything like that?  I
> remember encountering a situation with one of our RELENG_6 boxes where
> serial console would work fine up until the point of getting a login
> prompt via getty, which never worked.  Rebuilding kernel + world fixed
> the problem (time delta between kernel/world builds was over 100 days,
> and during that time I'm sure there were serial console changes).

Nope, my installation was built from source via "make buildworld
TARGET_ARCH=amd64", afterwards pxebooted the box and copied my nfsroot
to hard disk and then booted of hard disk. I can't think of a mistake in
that process.
thats really odd. hhmm...
I cvsup today to RELENG_7 and give make buildworld another go.

regards,
Marian