FreeBSD 7.0 BETA4 no serial console

Marian Hettwer MH at kernel32.de
Mon Dec 17 03:50:03 PST 2007

Jeremy Chadwick schrieb:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 11:42:33AM +0100, Marian Hettwer wrote:
>
>>> Change this to -S9600 -Dh, and remove the lines from /boot/loader.conf.
>>>

>> did that.
>> Still no login prompt via serial console. Although my getty is running:
>>
>> More hints on what's going on? :)
>>

> The only other thing I can think of would be an improperly wired serial
> adapter or serial cable.  It's been a while since I've messed with
> serial wiring, but I believe DSR/DCD not being tied to DTR on the DB9
> female connector (which connects to the PC) could cause this.  This
> applies to getty specifically, I believe.

hm... I don't think thats the case, since I'm able to see the whole
bootprocess of this box. The only thing missing is my login prompt ;)
Additionally, this is a HP Blade with iLo, so it's just a "emulated"
serial port. No adapters or wiring there.

> I'd try replacing the std.9600 part of /etc/ttys with 3wire.9600 and
> doing an "init q", or a reboot.  You can compare the two by looking at
> /etc/gettytab and the gettytab(5) manpage.

I did a kill -HUP 1 to have them paramters changed.
The 3write makes no different to std.9600
marian46-23# ps ax | grep ttyd
 1067  ??  I      0:00.00 /usr/libexec/getty 3wire.9600 ttyd1
 1068  d0  Is+    0:00.00 /usr/libexec/getty 3wire.9600 ttyd0

> If that doesn't work, can you set ttyd0 to off in /etc/ttys, reboot,
> and after the box comes back up do `stty -a -f /dev/ttyd0` ?

Okay, it's off now:
marian46-23# ps ax | grep ttyd
 1083  p1  R+     0:00.00 grep ttyd

marian46-23# stty -a -f /dev/ttyd0
speed 9600 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl echoctl
        -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin -nokerninfo
        -extproc
iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff ixany imaxbel -ignbrk
        brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
oflags: opost onlcr -ocrnl -oxtabs -onocr -onlret
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl clocal -cstopb -crtscts -dsrflow
        -dtrflow -mdmbuf
cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
        eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^?; erase2 = ^H; intr = ^C; kill = ^U;
        lnext = ^V; min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q;
        status = ^T; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;

hm...

I'm not sure what to do with those informations ;)

Ideas left anyone?

It's really really strange that I can see the whole boot process but
don't have a login prompt in the end. strange.

regards,
Marian