Server motherboard recommendation wanted

Chris H. chris# at 1command.com
Sun Dec 16 03:05:09 PST 2007

Quoting Pete French <petefrench at ticketswitch.com>:

>> We have great success using the Tyan Thunder K8SD-Pro (S2882-D)
>> motherboard.  It is a dual socket 940 motherboard that supports AMD
>> Opteron 200-series CPU (including dual-core), 16 GB ECC DDR400 RAM, with
>> 2 64-bit/133 MHz PCI-X slots, 2 64-bit/100 MHz PCI-X slots, and 1
>> 32-bit/33 MHz PCI slot.  Comes with onboard SATA and (optional) SCSI
>> controllers.
>
> I can second this - I bought one after a recopmmendation on this
> list for a dual core Opteron board to replace a rather flaky MSI.
> It has performed magnificently, and is comletel stable, plus being
> well supported by FreBSD 9amd64 in my case). I run Adaptec SCSI
> controllers, and the onboard NIC's are good quality as well.
> definitely recommended.
>
> -pcf.

I would also have to concur with this, and the previous post. We're
running 3 Intel based Tyan dual CPU boards and they run/perform very
well. Have dual onboard NIC's, 1 64bit PCI slot and 1 PCI-X slot,
onboard video, 2 U-160 SCSI ports, 2 133 UATA IDE ports. The only
possible "gotcha" with Tyan boards is they are very picky about RAM.
So best bet is to use what Tyan approves of. or you may run into
trouble. Other than that, I would have a real hard time finding
anything but good to say about their boards.
In short; FreeBSD (the OS) loves these boards.

panic: kernel trap (ignored)