GELI versus GBDE?

Christian Brueffer brueffer at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 17 05:26:59 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 08:56:07AM -0500, Nikolay Mirin wrote:
> Definitely GELI.
>
> GBDE will become obsolete very soon as some other things like vinum and
> such. It was there just as a test of concept as I understand.
> Many those different disk subsystems are incompatible in fact, the case
> of GBDE and Vinum is mentioned as an example in the handbook.
> Read more about GEOM, as this system will unite all possible disk
> techniqies.
>
> Also, GELI takes advantage of crypto-hardware, but I believe that one
> gets a benefit out of it only if the main CPU is very slow.

There are currently no plans to remove GBDE.  The problems with Vinum
you mention stemmed from the fact, that the original Vinum was not GEOM
aware, thus, GELI couldn't have been used with it as well.  gvinum has
been in existance for some time now and it's fully compatible to both
GBDE and GELI.

- Christian

--
Christian Brueffer	chris at unixpages.org	brueffer at FreeBSD.org