GELI versus GBDE?

Nikolay Mirin nik at optim.com.ru
Tue Apr 17 06:05:59 UTC 2007

Anyway, the other reasons that GBDE suck are:

1) Lots of annoying ENOMEM messages, since the memory allocation calls
gbde makes are somewhat specific as I understand.
    One can ignore those messages.
2) GELI provides a onetime key feature, which makes it incredibly
convenient for swap and /tmp encryption.
3) The secret key in GELI can be split between the keyfile and the
passphrase.

The only inconvenience I had with GELI is that if one wants to read a
passphrase in a script once and
then open a bunch of volumes, than one has to use "expect" to feed the
passphrase to geli. It requires the terminal input and
won't accept the stdin. GBDE does not have such issue.

P.S. One can actually have both in kernel.