Kernel Dumps on to gmirror device?

Clayton Milos clay at milos.co.za
Sun Apr 1 11:46:36 UTC 2007

I've got a 6.1 server that's panicing and I'd like to debug it. The
problem is that I can't get a kernel dump on to my gmirror device. It
looks like since 6.1 this has been supported (it says so in the release
notes). In my rc.conf I have:

 dumpdev="/dev/mirror/gm0s1b"$a

Which is my swap partition. On booting it says:

 kernel dumps on /dev/mirror/gm0s1b

But when it panics it says:

 fault virtual address   = 0x14
 fault code              = supervisor write, page not present
 instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xc057ff9f
 stack pointer           = 0x28:0xe2df3c44
 frame pointer           = 0x28:0xe2df3c4c
 code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
 processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
 current process         = 13 (swi4: clock sio)
 trap number             = 12
 panic: page fault
 Uptime: 1d4h15m55s
 GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider mirror/gm0 destroyed.
 GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0 destroyed.
 Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
 Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
 Rebooting...

I'm guessing it's because the GEOM_MIRROR device has been destroyed just
before it wants to dump? Any suggestions on a way forward to getting a
dump out?

Thanks,
Tim.

Hi Tim

Do you really need to run 6.1 ?
To be honest I found a lot of issues with 6.1 that were fixed in 6.2 so my
advice would be to upgrade to 6.2-STABLE and more than likely this will
either be fixed or will probably not happen at all.

-Clay