Kernel Dumps on to gmirror device?

Tim Bishop tim-lists at bishnet.net
Sun Apr 1 10:40:23 UTC 2007

I've got a 6.1 server that's panicing and I'd like to debug it. The
problem is that I can't get a kernel dump on to my gmirror device. It
looks like since 6.1 this has been supported (it says so in the release
notes). In my rc.conf I have:

	dumpdev="/dev/mirror/gm0s1b"$a

Which is my swap partition. On booting it says:

	kernel dumps on /dev/mirror/gm0s1b

But when it panics it says:

	fault virtual address   = 0x14
	fault code              = supervisor write, page not present
	instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xc057ff9f
	stack pointer           = 0x28:0xe2df3c44
	frame pointer           = 0x28:0xe2df3c4c
	code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
	                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
	processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
	current process         = 13 (swi4: clock sio)
	trap number             = 12
	panic: page fault
	Uptime: 1d4h15m55s
	GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider mirror/gm0 destroyed.
	GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0 destroyed.
	Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
	Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
	Rebooting...

I'm guessing it's because the GEOM_MIRROR device has been destroyed just
before it wants to dump? Any suggestions on a way forward to getting a
dump out?

Thanks,
Tim.

--