[fbsd] HEADS UP: FreeBSD 5.3, 5.4, 6.0 EoLs coming soon

Robert Joosten robert at ml.erje.net
Thu Oct 12 11:01:41 PDT 2006

Hi,

ML> We are currently trying to support 4 major CVS branches.
EBD> Perhaps work on 7 should have been delayed until 5 and 6 were able to
EBD> woo people away from 4 -- or at least not leave valid reasons for
RBD> people

Eeehm, afaik 5 is an interim for 6, so 5 should be stopped. I know plenty
people (including myself having a 4-box serving nfs; well because asr0 is
slow on 5 and 6 is not a option due to rpc.lockd) who have already, plan
to or are in the process of upgrading from 4 to 6.

Work on 7 should not stop. I think we all have lessons learned from 5. On
the other hand: freebsd is work in progress... C'mon guys :-D

I think indeed we should make 6 a better 4, just as folks from re@
continue to state.

Just my opinion though.

Regards,