[fbsd] HEADS UP: FreeBSD 5.3, 5.4, 6.0 EoLs coming soon

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 13 16:17:21 PDT 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Edward B. DREGER wrote:

> Perhaps work on 7 should have been delayed until 5 and 6 were able to woo
> people away from 4 -- or at least not leave valid reasons for people wanting
> to stay behind.  (Note that I'm more sympathetic than my tone might
> indicate; I've also gotten into some jams from long release cycles, and know
> what it's like.)

I think this misconstrues the trade-off.  That's like saying "Work on 5.x
instead of 6.x".  6.x is 5.x, just significantly refined and improved.  7.x is
6.x, just significantly refined and improved.  There are some improvements
that are too agressive to MFC, and those are what will constitute the
difference between 6.x and 7.0.  For example, there are a set of socket layer
stabilization/cleanup improvements that I've not yet MFC'd, and may not do so
(they've been in the tree for 6-7 months and appear to be good, but need a lot
of shake-out).  But many of the changes going into 7.x sit there for a period
of a few months to stabilize, and then go into 6.x.  Right now this MFC
pipeline is working quite well, but it's worth keeping in mind that if we
MFC'd all the improvements from 6.x to 5.x, it would simply be 6.x, and it
would be easier if people switched to 6.x than have us merge all the changes.
:-)

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge