6.1 with PAE on a recent server (HP DL380 G5 or Dell PE 1950) ?

Olivier Mueller om-lists-bsd at omx.ch
Mon Nov 13 13:59:39 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 22:14 +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> Drivers that are either known to NOT work with PAE or were not
> tested with PAE are excluded by the PAE config file, you can
> check there.
> So it looks like all of them should work fine with PAE.

merci!

> > Btw, when will we see these new servers listed under:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html ?
> >
> And you absolutely have no option of running FreeBSD/amd64 on
> them?  What a PITA!  :-)

Ehm well, I must admit I never tried that, for a simple (and silly?)
reason: freebsd installation selects the i386 SMP kernel by default...

But of course if you (and Mike Jakubik) strongly suggest it would be a
good idea, why not, I will give a try asap :-)  Any special thing I
should take care of when switching from the i686 kernel to the amd64
one? Will the systems be quicker this way, or will it "just" help
with this 4GB memory limit?  (systems are going to be "simple" web &
mail hosting servers, with mysql, php, qmail, clamav, etc.).

Regards,
Olivier