6.1 with PAE on a recent server (HP DL380 G5 or Dell PE 1950) ?

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 13 14:41:22 PST 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 10:57:50PM +0100, Olivier Mueller wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 22:14 +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > > Btw, when will we see these new servers listed under:
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html ?
> > >
> > And you absolutely have no option of running FreeBSD/amd64 on
> > them?  What a PITA!  :-)
>
> Ehm well, I must admit I never tried that, for a simple (and silly?)
> reason: freebsd installation selects the i386 SMP kernel by default...

Because you're trying to install FreeBSD/i386 on it; download
and burn the FreeBSD/amd64 ISOs instead -- it will select an
amd64 SMP kernel then.

> But of course if you (and Mike Jakubik) strongly suggest it would be a
> good idea, why not, I will give a try asap :-)  Any special thing I
> should take care of when switching from the i686 kernel to the amd64
> one?

It will be a 64-bit world with 64-bit time_t.  ;)

> Will the systems be quicker this way, or will it "just" help
> with this 4GB memory limit?

Quicker - probably not.  Will certainly help with the 4G limit.

> (systems are going to be "simple" web &
> mail hosting servers, with mysql, php, qmail, clamav, etc.).

It should be fine then.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov