Cruel and unusual problems with Proliant ML350

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Mon Nov 13 11:08:01 UTC 2006

Ivan Voras wrote:

> - The showstopper: Sysinstall completes (though slowly), but on reboot
> the loader doesn't go further than the "F1 prompt" :( This is very
> curious, since when booting from install CD the loader shows it
> recognizes the CD drive and drives A: and C:, so BIOS seems to be ok. If
> I understand the loader correctly, after the "F1 prompt" phase, the
> loader should transfer control to the boot block of the first slice?

There's something unusual going on and I don't know what else to try.
Finally, after fiddling with various options, I've sort-of got it to
work by creating two slices (s1, s2), setting root partition on s1a and
the rest (/usr, /var, etc.) on s2. Now, the "F1 prompt" boot stage
behaves like this:

- if I leave F1 to be the default, boot fails, beeping when trying to
boot like before. Nothing changes when pressing F1 multiple time (it
always fails and beeps).

- if I leave F2 to be the default, boot fails with "invalid partition"
message and escapes to the boot: prompt

- if I press F1 and then F2, it beeps on F1 but after F2 is pressed it
proceeds to boot from s1a!

I really don't know what is going on. The disk array is supposed to be
"clean", without hidden partitions (at least, fdisk doesn't see any).

Is the loader re-reading the table after a failed boot (with F1), and
something corrupts the data on first read? Or maybe it's a boot0 bug?

Any ideas? As it stands, the machine can't boot unattended, which makes
it unusable.

More info:

at the /boot/loader stage, lsdev shows disk0 as A:, but the floppy
doesn't exist on this machine, and disk1 as C:, with normal partitions
(e.g. disk1s1a, etc.)