Cruel and unusual problems with Proliant ML350

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Mon Nov 13 11:17:32 UTC 2006

> There's something unusual going on and I don't know what else to try.
> Finally, after fiddling with various options, I've sort-of got it to
> work by creating two slices (s1, s2), setting root partition on s1a and
> the rest (/usr, /var, etc.) on s2. Now, the "F1 prompt" boot stage
> behaves like this:

[snip]

This sounds similar to a Compaq machine I used to have with a SMART RAID
in it. I had 3 drives - a SCSI, and two on the RAID. It would beep
at F1 as well. I had to press F5 3 times to cycle through all the drives,
but then when I got back to the original I could press F1 and it would now
boot fine.

I never solved it, aand eventually changed machine (though not the
hardware). At the time it did not matter so much as the machine was
a server so when booted would just run until it manually needed to be
restarted.

-pete.