Installing FreeBSD 6.0 on IBM BladeCenter HS20

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Sat Mar 11 22:36:17 UTC 2006

Thus spake lars at gmx.at (lars at gmx.at) [11/03/06 03:51]:
: >I have yet to get it working, but I've been focusing explicitly on an
: >Opteron blade using an amd64 install.  It seems as though you may have luck
: >by using an Intel blade (these are by far more common), and doing the
: >install via the Java-based console provided by the Management Module.  It
: >seems as though the keyboard just 'works' once you boot into an installed
: >system.
: >
: >However, as I've not personally gotten it to work (and won't be able to
: >play
: >with it for at least another two weeks), I can only say I suspect that
: >approach will work.
:
: Maybe this might help:
: http://wiki.bsdforen.de/index.php/FreeBSD_On_IBM_Blade

For Intel blades, yes, as that's pretty much exactly what I suggested to do
(although the wiki's a heck of a lot more thorough).

But from the doc:

    There seem to be differences between Intel (Xeon) and AMD (Opteron)
    blades. Here I'm discussing an x86 Intel Blade Center system with Xeon
    CPUs running in 64bit-mode (hence the AMD64 ISO).

AFAIK, nobody's gotten FreeBSD installed on an Opteron blade yet.  The
keyboard just doesn't work.

Could someone who has FreeBSD running on an Intel blade submit ACPI
debugging information, or otherwise troubleshoot why ACPI doesn't work?

    <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/acpi-debug.html>

(If nobody wants to, I'll spend some time working on it next month.)