ATA problems again ...

Johan Ström johan at stromnet.org
Mon Jul 17 15:02:01 UTC 2006

On 17 jul 2006, at 16.51, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 05:59 AM 17/07/2006, Johan Ström wrote:

>>> Install the smartmontools from
>>>
>>> /usr/ports/sysutils/smartmontools/
>>>
>>> and post the output of
>>> smartctl -a /dev/ad8
>>
>> I tried this on my SATA disk ad6:
>> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
>> Model Family:     Maxtor MaXLine III family
>> Device Model:     Maxtor 7L300S0
>> Serial Number:    L60CJKPH
>> Firmware Version: BANC1G10
>> User Capacity:    300,090,728,448 bytes
>> Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
>> ATA Version is:   7
>> ATA Standard is:  ATA/ATAPI-7 T13 1532D revision 0
>> Local Time is:    Mon Jul 17 11:54:35 2006 CEST
>> SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
>> SMART support is: Enabled
>> SMART Error Log Version: 1
>> No Errors Logged
>>
>> Any other output from smartctl that can help? Both my ad4 and ad6 are
>> the same.
>
> This at least rules out the disks being bad for the most part.  It
> still could be bad cables, but if you changed those out than its
> doubtful.  Perhaps try updating to RELENG_6 ? If its a gmirror
> issue, I think there have been a number of fixes.

Just ran PowerMax (maxtors own testing software) full length test on
ad6, not a single problem.. Same result as on ad4 a couple of days
ago.. So no, i doubt it's the disks. I've changed the other SATA
cable too now (the one one ad6), this was a fresh one never used
before. I'll change ad4 too when i take it down for reboot.

I'm currently running RELENG_6_1, however from may 9th. Have there
been any ata/gmirror changes merged to 6_1 since then?
If I run RELENG_6 instead, how big is the change any other problems
might arise? ;) I've never used anything other than "stable"..

Thanks
Johan