FreeBSD 6.1 Tor issues (Once More, with Feeling)

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Mon Jul 3 09:10:47 UTC 2006

Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com> wrote:

> In the last episode (Jul 02), Robert Watson said:
> > On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, Fabian Keil wrote:
> > >The ssh man page offers:

> > >I am using ssh 2, but the only reaction I get is a new line.

> If you enter ~B and actually see a ~B printed to the screen, then ssh
> didn't process it because you didn't hit <cr> first.  So <cr>~B will
> tell ssh to send a break.

I am actually using <cr>~B and I don't see just "~B",
but "~B
". The tilde is printed after I release B, therefore I
guess it is working.

> > It sounds like your serial console server may not know how to map
> > SSH break signals into remote serial break signals.  Try
> > ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER.  Here's the description from NOTES:
> >
> > # Solaris implements a new BREAK which is initiated by a character
> > # sequence CR ~ ^b which is similar to a familiar pattern used on
> > # Sun servers by the Remote Console.
> > options         ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER
>
> ... and if you're sshing to your terminal server, remember that ssh
> will eat that tilde (because you sent <cr>~ ), so you need to send
> <cr>~~^B to pass the right characters to FreeBSD.  Or change ssh's
> escape character with the -e flag.

<cr>~^b works for me, without touching any ssh settings.
As <cr>~. is still causing a disconnect, it doesn't look
like the escape character was changed either.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/