FreeBSD 6.1 Tor issues (Once More, with Feeling)

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Sun Jul 2 19:32:36 UTC 2006

In the last episode (Jul 02), Robert Watson said:
> On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, Fabian Keil wrote:
> >The ssh man page offers:
> >
> >|~B      Send a BREAK to the remote system (only useful for SSH
> >|        protocol version 2 and if the peer supports it).
> >
> >I am using ssh 2, but the only reaction I get is a new line.
> >
> >|FreeBSD/i386 (tor.fabiankeil.de) (ttyd0)
> >|
> >|login: ~B

If you enter ~B and actually see a ~B printed to the screen, then ssh
didn't process it because you didn't hit <cr> first.  So <cr>~B will
tell ssh to send a break.

> It sounds like your serial console server may not know how to map SSH
> break signals into remote serial break signals.  Try
> ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER.  Here's the description from NOTES:
>
> # Solaris implements a new BREAK which is initiated by a character
> # sequence CR ~ ^b which is similar to a familiar pattern used on
> # Sun servers by the Remote Console.
> options         ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER

... and if you're sshing to your terminal server, remember that ssh
will eat that tilde (because you sent <cr>~ ), so you need to send
<cr>~~^B to pass the right characters to FreeBSD.  Or change ssh's
escape character with the -e flag.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com