X.org 6.9 - Greek Keyboard Layout - FreeBSD 6.0

Laganakos Vassilis elfshadow at physics.upatras.gr
Mon Jan 30 13:58:33 PST 2006

Hello,

I use two layouts on X, English and Greek. I use the following lines in
xorg.conf to switch between those two:

	Option "XkbRules"   "xorg"
	Option "XkbModel"   "acpi"
	Option "XkbLayout"  "us,el"
	Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll,altwin:menu"

This worked just fine until I port-upgraded to X.org 6.9 last week.
It was compiled and installed correctly. Whe I tried to start X I
noticed that I couldn't switch to the Greek layout, and I could not
switch to to console with the Alt-Ctrl-F? key combination. When I exited the
X mode, I saw the following message:

	The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
	> Error:            Can't find file "pc/el" for symbols include
	>                   Exiting
	>                   Abandoning symbols file "basic"
	>                   Abandoning symbols file "default"
	Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

So I was forced to comment out the last two of those lines in xorg.conf
and use only English. Greek are can be displayed in any program or Web page,
but I cannot type in greek.

When I searched out the web for any clues, I found the following:

	http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/linux/mandrake/2006-q1/0018.html
	http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mandriva/devel/cooker/ppc/media/main/xorg-x11-100dpi-fonts-6.9.0-8mdk.ppc.html

which state that there was an issue with Greek keyboard, but it should be
corrected with the 6.9.0 final.

Any ideas why's that happening in FreeBSD 6.0 Stable or how could I repair it?

Thanx,

Vassilis