Changes in sata code on 6.0? (gmirror losing disk)

Ville Lundberg freebsd at juiceless.net
Mon Feb 20 05:15:19 PST 2006

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is any significant bug fixes in ATA/SATA code
in 6.0 stable versus release? I have one server (6.0-rel-p4) freezing
once a week, and still not knowing exacly why (nothing is written to
logs). I'm trying to hunt down the cause.

It has two WD Raptor SATA drives gmirrored, disc controller is Intel
ICH5, and once rebuilding one of the disks, a WRITE_DMA timeout was
encountered. So I suspect this could be happening in normal use,
resulting in freeze (the disc led stays on when the server freezes).
Reading the mailing lists, I got the feeling that some improvements have
been made regarding ata/sata.

Should I just give latest -stable a try?
  --Ville