5.5 to 6.1 upgrade

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Aug 23 23:50:23 UTC 2006

On Aug 23, 2006, at 4:41 PM, Greg Byshenk wrote:
> As a possible point of clarification, my comments earlier (and, I
> suspect similar comments of others) were not meant to imply that one
> should not rebuild ports after a major upgrade, but only that one need
> not do so _before_ upgrading.
>
> [...probably ... it worked for me ... YMMV ... if it is a critical
> package, then it wouldn't hurt to rebuild it first ... usw.]

Oh, certainly-- FreeBSD's COMPAT stuff will let you run binaries
compiled against an older version of FreeBSD just fine for almost all
circumstances.  However, as soon as you try to install a new port
which depends on something already installed, or upgrade anything,
you pretty much really need to upgrade *everything* to be sure that
you don't compile new executables which depend on a mixture of COMPAT
and current libraries...

--
-Chuck