5.5 to 6.1 upgrade

Greg Byshenk freebsd at byshenk.net
Wed Aug 23 23:41:31 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 12:23:00PM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> In practice, however, pretty much all software nowadays depends on
> shared libraries, so it's reasonable to do a "pkg_delete -a" after
> upgrading to a new major version of FreeBSD, and then reinstall all
> of the ports you use once you've finished upgrading.  Run "pkg_info"
> before the upgrade and keep track of this output to help you remember
> what ports you've got installed...

As a possible point of clarification, my comments earlier (and, I
suspect similar comments of others) were not meant to imply that one
should not rebuild ports after a major upgrade, but only that one need
not do so _before_ upgrading.

[...probably ... it worked for me ... YMMV ... if it is a critical
package, then it wouldn't hurt to rebuild it first ... usw.]

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk at byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL