5.5 to 6.1 upgrade

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Mon Aug 21 20:56:03 UTC 2006

On Aug 21, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Ian Smith wrote:

> a) should I upgrade from RELENG_5 straight to RELENG_6 or should I be
> stopping off at 6.1-RELEASE along the way first?  and

I'd go with 6.1-REL just to make sure you have a known working
release, not that *you* broke something.  With RELENG_6 you could
luck into a broken system as shipped.

> b) do I need to upgrade all existing ports (way out of date) before
> the
> source upgrade, or can I be confident of doing that from 6.1 (-R or
> -S)?

You really want to rebuild all your ports across major version
changes.  If not, over time as you rebuild certain libraries they
will be pulling in multiple versions of other shared libs which may
be linked to other versions of base system libs and could conflict
with each other.  Another advantage to rebuilding all the ports is
you can clean out all your old 5.x system libraries once done.