5.5 to 6.1 upgrade

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Mon Aug 21 16:19:49 UTC 2006

Hello -stable ones,

I recently (without drama) upgraded a 5.4-RELEASE system to
FreeBSD 5.5-STABLE #1: Tue Aug  1 11:11:20 EST 2006
for 'target practice' at least, on the way to 6.1-STABLE

I was preparing to portupgrade everything next, when I wondered:

a) should I upgrade from RELENG_5 straight to RELENG_6 or should I be
stopping off at 6.1-RELEASE along the way first?  and

b) do I need to upgrade all existing ports (way out of date) before the
source upgrade, or can I be confident of doing that from 6.1 (-R or -S)?

FWIW: a wee Celeron 300, so minimising upgrade build times is desirable.

Cheers, Ian