Disappointed

MC rossiya at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 12:13:46 UTC 2006

I have installed freeBSD more than 1000 times, on hundreds of machines.
Some
of them had no business being called a computer outright, as their
reliability
was more constrained by chaotic feedback than Von Newman architecture.
Memory would disappear while running, DRAM would fail, 3com NICS would
drop their checksums, voltages would drop, fans would stop cooling, admins
would pull the mains.  Somewhere around 2000 FreeBSD became more stable
than the hardware it ran upon, given halfway decent administration.  By that
mean installing releases and keeping track of release notes.  There have
been some longstanding bugs that took years to iron out, but I never
reported them or patched them
myself, implying ultimately the problem wasn't mission critical.

Of course some will install CURRENT with GCC O6 and then complain about a
kernel panic