sio+acpi woes on HP DL145

Mars G. Miro marsgmiro at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 13:36:46 UTC 2006

Greetz!

 I have an HP DL145 that I'm having problems with when connecting via
serial console. I think it's acpi-related. This is on 6.1-BETA4/amd64
(5.X is the same also)
 Initially:
 root at 145:~# vmstat -i
interrupt                          total       rate
irq1: atkbd0                           1          0
irq4: sio0                             6          0
irq14: ata0                           46          3
irq16: bge0                          120          8
irq20: ohci0                           5          0
irq21: ehci0                           1          0
irq22: atapci1                       704         46
cpu0: timer                        27375       1825
Total                              28258       1883

 Then I connected its serial to another FreeBSD boxen's serial and ran
tip on the other box... then bada-bing!! The 145 seems dead. Doesnt
respond to anything (well except for ICMP tho)... until I kill the
other boxen's tip process. Then the box is alive again. One thing I've
noticed, it sends the acpi interrupts thru the roof:
root at 145:~# vmstat -i
interrupt                          total       rate
irq1: atkbd0                           1          0
irq4: sio0                            16          0
irq9: acpi0                       363925        284
irq14: ata0                           46          0
irq16: bge0                          589          0
irq20: ohci0                           5          0
irq21: ehci0                           1          0
irq22: atapci1                       901          0
cpu0: timer                      2559105       1997
Total                            2924589       2283

 If i disable acpi by setting hint.acpi.0.disabled=1 in loader.conf I
do not experience the problem above.
 Somebody else has experienced this and he's CC'd:
 http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-November/019286.html

 Is this somewhat related to:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/83671 ?

 Verbose dmesg is attached.