Reduced java/tomcat performance 6-beta3 -> 6-stable ?

Eirik Øverby ltning at anduin.net
Mon Nov 28 20:55:11 GMT 2005

Hi,

I think I have found the culprit. There must be some sort of
difference between the machines after all (BIOS revision?), because
while on one machine the interrupt rate for the bge card stays very
low (2 to be exact) during maximum load, the other machine goes
beyond 1000 and keeps rising constantly. This might also explain why
performance slowly degrades over time on that machine, and response
times vary wildly, while the "fast" machine responds nicely within
1-2 seconds no matter the load and testing time.

I will have to investigate this more closely. Is there a way to force
the NIC to polling mode (I'm assuming that is the difference, an IRQ
rate of 2 is too low for a heavily loaded server if the NIC is
interrupt-driven)?

Anything else I could look at?

Also, the interrupt rates for the CPUs stay at 2000 sharp on the fast
system, but fluctuates somewhat on the other.

/Eirik